Healthy Environment, Healthy Community, Healthy Business

Environment Protection Authority

Dangerous goods training and licensing

When is a licence required?

A licence is required when transporting any receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres, or which contains more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods in a single receptacle.

The exception is when intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) with a total capacity of more than 3000 litres are being transported, or where any IBC is filled or emptied while on a vehicle.

The vehicle must be covered by a dangerous goods vehicle licence and the driver must hold a dangerous goods driver licence.

Dangerous goods vehicle licences

A licence is issued for a vehicle that will be loaded with dangerous goods, such as a trailer, rigid vehicle, B-double trailer or a road-train trailer. Prime movers are not licensed.

A single licence is issued for each transport organisation and details of each vehicle are included on that licence. The licence is valid for one year and is nationally recognised.

To apply for a vehicle licence you must:

  • complete the vehicle licence application form
  • provide information about the vehicle
  • advise the class or classes of dangerous goods to be carried
  • hold an insurance policy for the vehicle to cover clean-up and emergency services costs incurred in response to, and recovery of, any vehicle(s) and/or goods involved in a dangerous goods incident
  • pay the licence application fee
  • provide a rear 3/4 image of the vehicle showing the number plate and vehicle type.

For tank vehicles you must also provide:

  • the date of the last hydrostatic test carried out on the vehicle (if applicable)
  • an image of the tank compliance plate showing a valid design approval number and the tank serial number.

More information on application requirements is given in the application form.

Send the completed form, along with the required information and application fee, to:

Chemicals and Radiation Licensing
PO Box A290
Sydney South NSW 1232

or by email to

Dangerous goods driver licences

Interstate dangerous goods driver licences

A current dangerous goods driver licence issued by any state or territory is recognised throughout Australia. If you hold a current interstate dangerous goods driver licence, you are able to drive a dangerous goods vehicle anywhere in NSW.

Dangerous goods driver training

Before applying for your dangerous goods driver licence you must complete the training course: TLILIC0001  or TLILIC3013A* Course in the transport of dangerous goods by road.

To find a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that presents the course, go to the website.

A list will be generated of all RTOs with TLILIC0001 on their scope. You will need to check with the RTO that they are authorised to present the course for licensing purposes. 

* course undertaken prior to 28 August 2017, which will be accepted by the EPA for applications received in following six months. ASQA will not recognise TLILIC3013A beyond 27/08/17

Applying for dangerous goods driver licence

To apply for a dangerous goods driver licence you must:

  • complete the required training provided by an appropriate RTO
  • be certified as medically fit by a general practitioner
  • have a satisfactory driving history
  • provide identification (passport-sized photographs and a copy of your vehicle driver licence)
  • complete and sign the application form
  • obtain the RTO's certification on the application form
  • submit the application form within 6 months of undertaking the training or the medical assessment.

The requirements for driving history and medical fitness are given in the licence application form.

Replacement for lost driver licence

Application form for a replacement dangerous goods driver licence that has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.

Send completed application forms, along with the required information attached and application fee to:

Chemicals and Radiation Licensing
PO Box A290
Sydney South NSW 1232

Most licences are issued within 20 working days after the EPA receives all the necessary information. Licences are normally valid for five years, but a shorter duration licence may be issued in certain circumstances.

Dangerous goods register of licences

Visit the register of NSW dangerous goods driver and vehicle licences.

Page last updated: 27 July 2017