Fines and penalties for illegal dumping
Tiers of offence
Tier 3 – Offences where an on-the-spot fine is issued
- $7500 on-the-spot fine for individuals, if issued by the EPA ($4000 otherwise)
- $15,000 on-the-spot fine for corporations, if issued by the EPA ($8000 otherwise)
Tier 2 - Strict liability waste dumping offences
- Maximum penalty for an individual: $250,000 and, in the case of a continuing offence, a further daily penalty of $60,000
- Maximum penalty for a corporation: $1,000,000 and in the case of a continuing offence, a further daily penalty of $120,000
Tier 1 - Wilful or negligent disposal of waste causing actual or likely harm to the environment
- Maximum penalty for an individual: $1,000,000 and/or 7 year prison sentence for wilful offences; $500,000 and/or 4 year prison sentence for negligent offences
- Maximum penalty for a corporation: $5,000,000 for wilful offences; $2,000,000 for negligent offences
Recent amendments to the POEO Act increased penalties for illegal dumping including:
- Vehicles used in repeat illegal dumping offences can be seized, and if the offender is convicted the vehicle can be forfeited.
- Repeat offenders can receive prison sentences of up to two years.
- A person knowingly supplying false and misleading information in the course of dealing with waste can receive a fine of up to $500,000 for a coporation; or $240,000 and/or an 18 month prison sentence for an individual.
- The offender can be required to re-pay any monetary benefit obtained as a result of the offence as an additional penalty.
Tough new penalties
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 14 January 2015