Comprehensive approach to environmental compliance - chemical storage, handling and spill management
Why chemical storage, handling and spill management?
An environmental compliance program focusing on the activity of liquid chemical storage, handling and spill management has been completed. This activity occurs on a large number of licensed premises covering a range of industry types scheduled under the POEO Act. The activity is also undertaken by non scheduled premises across NSW, with potential impacts on air, water and land.
- A number of major environmental incidents have been attributed to poor chemical management practices. In addition, a number of recent prosecutions have been related to chemical transfer and storage.
- Previous audit programs have shown the need for improvements in licensee awareness of the risks relating to the management of chemicals.
- The program will have wider applicability to non-scheduled sites, and be used to identify some cumulative impacts on the environment.
- There is a range of Australian Standards, Regulations and industry Codes of Practice dealing with storage and handling of liquid chemicals, that were compared and appraised.
- The program allows for knowledge sharing with other regulators such as local councils, SafeWork NSW (formerly WorkCover) and NSW Department of Industry.
Search for Environment Protection Licences undertaking the activity of chemical storage, handling and spill management in the public register.
View the environmental compliance reports – chemical storage, handling and spill management
The findings of the environmental compliance program on the activity of liquid chemical storage, handling and spill management are available in the following three reports:
Note: PDF files require Acrobat Reader.
If you wish to receive copies of any of these reports, contact the EPA.
Individual Audit Reports
The findings of each audit and a follow-up action program based on the audit findings are reported in a compliance audit report which is sent to the audited enterprise. Copies of each audit report are available to the public through the Office of Environment and Heritage's library.
To help industry and local government to better manage environmental, legal and safety responsibilities relating to the storage and handling of liquids, the EPA has developed a suite of educational and training resources.
Storing and Handling Liquids: trainer's manual, available from the Office of Environment and Heritage's website, will help industry and local government to better manage environmental, legal and safety responsibilities relating to liquids. The kit includes sections on legal obligations, site management, incident management and spill response.
Page last updated: 13 October 2016