The Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery (Container Deposit Scheme) Regulation 2017
The Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery (Container Deposit Scheme) Regulation 2017 (PDF 205 KB) was published on 10 March 2017.
Consultation on the draft Regulation was open for consultation from 30 November 2016 to 23 December 2016.
The Regulations prescribe some of the operational details for the day-to-day running of the NSW Container Deposit Scheme. These operational details include:
- the types of beverage containers that will be excluded from the Scheme (which is largely consistent with the South Australian and Northern Territory schemes)
- the amount that will be refunded
- the process for the approval of collection point arrangements
- the considerations for the Minister in determining whether an applicant for a Scheme administration agreement is a fit and proper person
- the reporting requirements for the Scheme Coordinator
- the procedure for material recovery facility operators to make refund claims on containers they process that were collected through the kerbside recycling system, and incentives for Materials Recycling Facilities (MRF) to negotiate sharing of those refunds with councils.
Further provisions on matters such as the Scheme coverage targets, obligations relating to the supply and collection of containers, and refund markings, will be added to the Regulation later in the year as implementation of the Scheme progresses.
Page last updated: 15 March 2017