Waste mineral oil
In addition to the general regulatory requirements relating to waste, the following specific requirements apply to waste mineral oil.
- An environment protection licence is required to transport loads exceeding 200 kg of waste oil.
- An equivalent interstate licence is recognised for transporting waste oil between NSW and other states or territories. An interstate licence is not valid for transporting waste oil solely within NSW.
- An environment protection licence is required to store waste mineral oil received from offsite. Some exemptions apply – see Guide to licensing.
- An environment protection licence is required to treat, process or reprocess waste mineral oil. Some exemptions apply – see Guide to licensing.
Waste tracking requirements
- Waste oil destined for re-use that is transported solely within NSW is exempt from waste tracking requirements (Exemption 2006-E-4).
- Waste oil transported between NSW and another state or territory must be tracked.
- Waste oil destined for re-use that is received at a waste facility is not subject to the liquid waste levy.
Recycling used oil
For information about recycling used oil see the Australian Government Product Stewardship for Oil Program.
Recycling and disposal services
Contact Environment Line on 131 555.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 30 March 2016