Zinc wastes destined for reuse
Protection of the Environment Operations (Waste) Regulation 2005
Notice of exemption under clause 51
By this notice the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) grants the following general exemption.
The notice exempts the persons or classes of persons described herein from certain requirements in relation to the transportation and tracking of waste for the purpose of facilitating the beneficial reuse of specified wastes containing economically recoverable concentration of zinc.
The terms used in this notice have the same meaning as in the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (the Act) and the Protection of the Environment Operations (Waste) Regulation 2005 (the Regulation).
1. This exemption has effect from the date of publication and remains in force until revoked or amended by a notice published in the Government Gazette.
Waste to which this exemption applies
2. This exemption applies to the following types of zinc waste:
(a) zinc ashes, including mixtures of zinc oxide and metallic zinc, baghouse dust, and galvanizer's ash;
(b) zinc drosses, including metal alloys from galvanizing baths, and zinc skimmings;
(c) zinc skulls, including solid mixtures of metallic zinc and fused flux;
(d) zinc fluxes, including solid mixtures of metallic zinc, zinc oxides and oxychlorides;
(e) metallic zinc materials, including furnace bottoms, zinc scrap, and swarf;
(f) zinc metal dust , with low zinc oxide content including fumes, blowings and fines;
(g) zinc solutions, including zinc ammonium chloride solution, and spent pickle liquors.
3. This notice exempts:
(a) a consignor;
(b) a transporter; and
(c) a receiver
of waste to which this exemption applies from Part 3 of the Regulation, but only in so far as Part 3 applies by virtue of clause 18(1) of the Regulation.
4. An exemption under this notice has effect only if the waste is to be transported for the purpose of recycling, reprocessing and to a place that can lawfully be used as a waste facility for that waste.
Interstate movement of waste to which Part 3 applies
5. This notice does not exempt any person or class of person from Part 3 of the Regulation in so far as Part 3 applies by virtue of clause 18(2) of the Regulation.
Dangerous Goods requirements
6. This notice does not exempt any person or class of person from any requirement under the Road and Rail Transport (Dangerous Goods) Act 1997 or the Regulations made under that Act.
Manager Waste Management
Environment Protection Authority
Date: 28 November 2006
Page last updated: 14 January 2015