Circulate, NSW EPA Industrial Ecology Program
Circulate, NSW EPA Industrial Ecology is assisting businesses to achieve competiveness and improved bottom lines through better environmental practices.
The NSW Environment Protection Authority funds Industrial Ecology facilitators to work with organisations in NSW to help them identify and implement projects that will reduce waste or provide them with resources to create new material.
Who is the program for?
Industrial Ecology facilitators actively engage medium-to-large enterprises; businesses, not for profit and government organisations.
These include organisations across many sectors; manufacturing, trade, commercial property, clubs and accommodation, education and health care and social assistance.
Facilitators can assist your organisation manage many different types of waste including timber, plastic, organics and building operational waste. The program focuses on the recovery of waste currently being sent to landfill.
The Circulate, NSW EPA Industrial Ecology program is part of the NSW Government's Waste Less, Recycle More Initiative, using funds derived from the waste levy.
Over four years to 2017, Circulate is seeking to:
- Engage with 1,000 medium to large enterprises
- Establish 100 industrial ecology projects across NSW
- Target 160,000 tonnes of landfill diversion
- Generate $21 million dollars in additional income and/or savings for participating businesses.
Benefits of joining an industrial ecology network
- Opportunities for education, information sharing, collaboration and capacity building
- Access to specialist advice
- Branding and marketing support for projects established through the network
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting for projects established through the network
- Liaison with government consent authorities
- Flow-on bottom line benefits from applying industrial ecology principles to your business
- Opportunities to increase your business profile and demonstrate your commitment to sustainability and innovation.
Case studies of businesses involved in the industrial ecology network
- Governor Macquarie Tower Defit, DEXUS, Lend Lease and the GPT Group – Sydney region (PDF 351KB)
- Wood into Plastic, REMONDIS – Hunter region (PDF 364KB)
- Mattress Recycling, Mission Australia – South East region (PDF 264KB)
- Sustainable Waste Initiative, Lismore Workers Club – North Coast region (PDF 256KB)
- Simple Solution for Food Waste, Devro Pty Ltd – Inland region (PDF 699KB)
Joining your regional industrial ecology network
Simply contact the EPA funded facilitator in your area. Facilitators provide their network of businesses with the support they require to identify resource recovery opportunities, overcome technical barriers, and establish realistic business cases for change.
Waste and Resource Recovery Branch
Waste and Recycling Infrastructure Unit
Phone: (02) 9995 6873
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 16 September 2016